UMOnline is piloting Respondus, an online proctoring tool, during the month of May. There are two tools that can be used; Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
We are encouraging those with 3-week session classes beginning May 11 to participate. If you are interested, please fill out the Respondus Pilot survey.
UMOnline will be collecting responses up until May 6 for participation in the pilot this summer.
NOTE: Though UMOnline is leading a pilot for these tools, all service requests and technical support will be directed through the Respondus Ticketing System. See the "Download and Technical Support" section below, for more information.
LockDown Browser is used for proctored environments and checks that a student’s computer is locked down during the exam.
How LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized.
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop.
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines and remote desktops.
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled.
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented.
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled.
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading.
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers.
- Available for Windows, Mac and iPad.
Respondus Monitor is intended for non-proctored environments and uses a webcam and video technology to ensure the identity of students and to deter other forms of cheating (using a second computer, accessing a mobile device, etc.). After an exam, the instructor can access the webcam recordings and other information about the assessment environment, all within the learning system.
How Respondus Monitor Works
- Respondus Monitor builds upon the LockDown Browser technology to ensure the computing device isn't used to cheat during a non-proctored exam.
- Integrates with Moodle LMS. Students access exams within the LMS as they normally would. Instructors do everything within the LMS too, including the post-exam review of proctoring results.
- After installation, Respondus Monitor will auto-launch from the student's browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE) whenever the exam settings require it. Students are then guided through a pre-exam sequence, including a webcam check.
- Exams can be taken with Respondus Monitor without advanced scheduling and without additional registration by the student.
There are Daily training webinars for LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor. Each training is approximately 45 minutes, with an extended Q/A period where questions are answered live. Training is amazingly effective at getting instructors quickly up-and-running with these applications.
- Quick Guide (from Helena College eLearning): Preparing a Quiz for use with LockDown Browser in Moodle.
- Quick Guide (from Respondus): Preparing a Quiz for use with LockDown Browser in Moodle.
- Sample Wording: Information to add to your Syllabus.
- LockDown Browser Instructor Resources.
- Respondus Monitor Instructor Resources.
- Rapid Rollout for Instructors answers the top questions instructors have about LockDown Browser & Respondus Monitor.
If you are experiencing difficulty with Respondus tools, please DO NOT contact UMOnline. Use the Respondus Ticketing system in the technical support link below.
You can Download the browser online.
Operating System Requirements
NOTE: Chromebooks and Mobile Phones are not supported.
Windows: 10, 8, 7
Mac: macOS 10.15 to 10.12, OS X 10.11, OSX 10.10
iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration. See the Respondus Knowledgebase article for details.
- Please be sure you are using the most current version of Respondus LockDown Browser for Windows.
- To check for updates, use the "Check for Update" feature from within the Respondus LockDown Browser application.
- Please be sure you are using the most current version of Respondus LockDown Browser for Mac. To check for updates, use the "Check for Update" feature or run the full installation program.
- Complete version history for LockDown Browser can be obtained at Respondus.com > Customer Login > LockDown Browser > Additional Resources > Version Information.
Training for Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
Each training is approximately 45 minutes, with an extended Q/A period where questions are answered live. Training is amazingly effective at getting instructors quickly up-and-running with these applications.
Respondus uses a ticket-based support system that is available if you encounter an issue that cannot be resolved with the Knowledge Base or the in-application help systems. Respondus staff members generally respond to tickets within 24 hours, excluding weekends and U.S. holidays.
This resource was inspired by Helena College and the Respondus websites forum and informational pages.